Image Map

A Back to School Tale (or The Day I Fought My Teacher)

This week, our town went back-to-school, and being a teacher, I joined right in. As I watched the first day of school hubbub, I couldn't help but remember my own first day, twenty-fve years ago.
My sister, cousin, and me, blissfully enjoying life before school.
I was as ready as I could have been. New clothes, a Holly Hobbie lunchpail, a backpack too large for my little body. All summer I had looked forward to this day, which is why––I am sure––no one knew what was coming. Not even me.

My mom held my hand, and together we walked across the playground toward the kindergarten classroom. In the doorway stood Mrs. Gomes ready to greet us and welcome me into her class. As we moved closer, my excitement began to fade, and in its place surfaced slight panic. And then desperation. I grasped my mom's hand tighter, feeling my tiny five-year-old heart beat inside my chest. The closer we edged, the more my stomach looped itself into knots. We were only a couple of steps away, just seconds from crossing the threshold, and I knew: I was not going to let go. At the very least, I was not going to let go without a fight.

What should have been a simple pass-off (mom gives me a kiss good-bye, I bounce into my new classroom) turned into a screaming, flailing tantrum. I clung to my mom's shirt, sobbing, begging her not to leave me. When my teacher attempted to pull me away, I gave her everything I had. I kicked her, scratched her, and bit her. But despite all my effort (and believe me, it was valiant), Mrs. Gomes managed to separate me from my mom, and somehow in all that chaos, I was put in the closet.

Yes. A closet. A dark, dusty, dungeon of a place. (Actually, it was the tiny room where the teacher curriculum was stored, and it even had a small window. But still.) Mrs. Gomes put a chair in there, said I could come out when I was ready to be a kindergartener, and closed the door.

I don't remember much from kindergarten. Bits and pieces, really. I remember nothing else at all from that day, not even mom coming to pick me up. But I remember the fight, and even more clearly, I remember sitting in the closet.

I stared at the window and thought, I will never come out. Never ever ever. And I will never forgive my mom. Never ever ever.

The thing is, though, it's boring in a curriculum closet. And lonely. And I could hear voices of kids in the classroom, and they seemed to be having an all right time. So I wiped my tears, stood up, and opened the door. I was ready to be a kindergartener.

Mrs. Gomes acted like nothing had happened, just welcomed me into her class. And wouldn't you know I loved my first year of school.


We'd love to hear from you! Share your or your kid's first day/back-to-school stories. (They don't have to be this violent!)
 photo Can-Sig_zpsba361423.png

14 comments:

  1. On Jeffrey's first day of Kindergarten at home, I remember pointing at the calendar and saying, good morning Jeffrey, today is Monday, August _. The day went well. At bedtime I asked what he thought of the first day of school. He said it was fine, Mommy, but why were you acting so weird? You acted like you were pretending to be a teacher. That first day was our last day of school; we went back to just learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! Even at that little of an age, he still knew enough about how people are supposed to act. Very interesting!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear Candace~~~~What a traumatic first day of, "ANYTHING NEW!" I think, perhaps now, this would be considered abuse? Well, anyway, I do remember my first day of school. I was also raised on a dairy, farm, and had to opportunity to ride the BIG YELLOW BUS! We had just moved from Tucson, however, I had met a girl named, Paulette Brase weeks before, while my Mom was introducing herself to the neighborhood ladies. Paulette and I were BESTIES from that day on. We arrived together, hand in hand, to Linwood Elementary and Mrs. Faraire greeted us with open arms and hugs and smoochies! Crazy teachers were allowed to show affection in the 50's right! Perfect day, I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too sweet, Renee. Oh to have a bestie even before the first day started! You were a lucky girl. And to get to ride the big yellow bus on top of it all! Lucky indeed :)

      Delete
  3. Well my first day wasn't traumatic- I just remember thinking it had to be better than preschool where they spanked kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Did you get spanked, Steph??

      Delete
    2. Oh dear sweet daughter of mine! First you must explain that it was a Christian preschool program at our church.......AND was one of the BEST in Visalia. Until the day I saw you line up all your dollies, and stuffed animals and point your finger at them and YELL!!! Then spank them.......I NEVER knew what was happening. I knew you were not getting it from home, so I went early one day, quietly listened in the hall outside your door......and I'll be darn, there those teachers were, spanking, yelling, and humiliating those BABIES (3 and 4 year olds.) I do believe that was your LAST DAY OF PRESCHOOL! Sorry sweet girl!

      Delete
    3. Heck no! I was very well behaved- I was terrified lol!

      Delete
  4. This pretty much made my day!! I have a good story about my dad. He rode the bus home for the first time in kindergarten and watched as the bus drove by his house, mouth opened and pointing, but didn't say a word. He rode the whole route before the driver figured out he forgot to get off 😃!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man that happened to me too! Apparently I have lots of traumatic experiences! When I finally said something to the bus driver, she got mad at me. :(

      Delete
  5. My first day of school was easy going for me, but not for my poor cousin, Rita. Rita and I were very close and she was very sweet. For some reason at school she annoyed me. So I bite her. Every chance I got!! She didn't tell the teacher but man she told my mom,ugh, the lectures (she was a sweet girl and everyone knew it!), the spankings! I bite her all through kindergarten. When we talk now as adults she always mentions how I bite her all through kindergarten, ugh, let it go already LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Rita indeed! A whole year of that? You should have been put in the closet ;)

      Delete
  6. Jerry has a story... his mom dropped him off at Kindergarten and told him she was going to go visit an aunt. Jerry was so concerned about mom not being home that he ran away from school, all the way home, crossing Norwalk Blvd in Whittier in the process. Of course his mom was not home, but as he was pounding on the door she pulled up in the car, thinking he might have done something rash.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your feedback! Please leave your email address if you'd like us to reply specifically to you.