Image Map

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Easy Tray Makeover!

I recently discovered Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (ASCP). What you may not know is that ASCP is not actually chalkboard paint. ASCP is paint with chalk in it–with a few simple steps, you can make anything into a shabby chic piece on a budget without having to prime, sand, or really prep much at all. It can be used on almost any surface, inside or out, and dries fast so you can add second or third coats quickly. It is meant to look imperfect since it is made for distressing!

With this amazing little can of paint at my fingertips, I now shop with a new eye for things, looking at the lines of furniture rather than the color or finish. When I see a cute little (or big) frame or tray at a good price, I snatch it right up and bring it home for a quick, easy makeover!
So today, I'm sharing with you my makeover of these trays. When I saw them, they were in good shape but were plain white with really no character. So I brought them home, pulled out my stash of ASCP (I love to mix the colors!), and started planning my makeover. I decided to add a fun touch and paint the bottom of the tray with chalkboard paint. I envisioned a sweet scented candle sitting on this tray with a personal note to make it feel at home.
First, I painted the chalkboard part of it. I took it outside and gave it 3 coats, letting it dry overnight in between each coat. With chalkboard paint you have to give it a few coats and make sure it is dry.
Next I brought it in and primed the chalkboard part of it. You could wait until the end to do this as well.
Then I mixed up the color I wanted. I used Old White and Aubusson Blue with a bit of water. I gave it two coats and let it dry.
Next, I gave it a coat of wax, let the wax dry, distressed it a touch, gave it one more light wax. I let that dry for 24 hours, then buffed it for a pretty sheen.
Finally, I primed the chalkboard one more time, and I was done!
There you have it! ASCP goes a long way–I have a few sample cans that I use for everything because I haven't needed to buy anything bigger.

The tray was puchased at JoAnn's and the AS chalk paint was purchased at Embellish & Restore.

Have you played with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint before? How did you like it?

Linked up! 1 2 3 4 5 6

7 comments:

  1. Very cute! Thanks for sharing at redoux!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea! This is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I like the whole "relax" with a candle idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea! Thank you so much for sharing & linking up at Thank You Honey's Whatever Wednesday Party!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sarah! We appreciate the link-up party!

      Delete
  5. Stephanie, love your tray- it's nice to have a reminder to relax sometimes :) Thank you so much for linking up your chalk board project with Get Your DIY on this week! I hope you'll join us today to link up any Thrifty Halloween Decor you have :)

    Mandy @ The Hankful House Blog

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your feedback! Please leave your email address if you'd like us to reply specifically to you.