Image Map

Peach Measures, Yields & 5 Tips + Fresh Peach Sorbet Recipe!

Peaches are one of my absolute favorite fruits. I love to eat them, drink them, bake with them–they just make everything better. Also, they smell fantastic!
Peaches found at our Local Farmers Market
So did you know that August is National Peach Month? I was pretty excited when I discovered this and even more excited to share it with you. Now I have an excuse (not that I needed one) to make a few of my favorite peach treats! But before we get to that, I want you to get the most out of those delicious fruits! Here are some tips for storage and measuring–and of course a recipe for you!
  1. Peaches won't ripen after picked, they will soften. You can soften peaches by placing them in a brown paper bag for two to three days.
  2. Sliced, fresh peaches should be tossed in lemon or lime juice to prevent browning.
  3. Peaches should be eaten as soon as possible so they don't soften too much.
  4. If you can't eat them before they go bad, cut them up and freeze them! Use them in smoothies or ice cream, or make a puree later! 
  5. Peaches are easiest to peel after blanching. (see recipe below)
Raw measures:
About 2 medium peaches = 1 cup sliced peaches
About 4 medium peaches = 1 cup pureed peach
About 3 medium peaches = 1 pound of peaches

Process yields (Raw amounts to processed amounts)
2 to 2½ pounds of fresh peaches yields 1 quart canned
1 lb of fresh peaches typically yields 3 cups of peeled, sliced peaches or 2 cups puree
It takes about 5 good sizes peaches to fill one quart jar of canned peaches.
Conversion Source

Now for the recipe! (Those measurements will come in handy!)
Fresh Peach Sorbet
2 lbs fresh Peaches (Approx. 6-8 peaches)
1 cups sugar (could reduce to 1/2 cup if peaches are sweet enough)
1/2 cup water
Dash of Salt
2 Tablespoons lime or lemon juice (I used more because I like it tart.)
Optional: 1 tablespoon Peach Schnapps (this will keep the sorbet a little softer)
Blanch your peaches: Score the bottom of the peaches and drop them in boiling water for about 30-60 seconds, depending on their firmness. Remove from water and place in a bowl of ice water. Peel, remove pits.
Boil your water and stir in sugar until dissolved, set aside. 

In a food processor, puree peaches with lemon/lime juice adding in your sugar mixture and salt until completely combined. Place mixture in shallow bowl or dish, and place in your refrigerator. Cool completely.
When mixture is completely chilled, whisk in Peach Schnapps. Place in ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer instructions!
Save leftover sorbet in an airtight container in the freezer, AND if you can manage to save some till next week, I will give you a great way to eat it...or drink it!

This is a great recipe for entertaining- just pull it out of the freezer and serve! What do you think, easy enough?

We've Linked up! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

2 comments:

  1. Wow, looks amazing! I recently made some Peach Butter and tried peeling my peaches with the blanching method you described above but had no luck at all! They were white flesh peaches, do you think that could have been the cause of my problem?

    Thanks!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steph! I don't think the white flesh would make a difference. I did notice that my peaches were pretty hard, so I had to leave them in the boiling water for 60+ seconds and even then I had two or three that just gave me trouble. Maybe try leaving them in a little longer next time. Hope that helps!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your feedback! Please leave your email address if you'd like us to reply specifically to you.